BioLogiQ has invented a process for making homogeneous blends of NuPlastiQ® BioPolymers (having low crystallinity) with other polyolefins (having high crystallinity). The resulting thermoplastic blend is called a BioBlend®. Since NuPlastiQ has a higher modulus (strength) than many polyolefins, BioBlends® can be used to make plastic items that are stronger than those made with pure polyolefins. The chemical and mechanical bonds of plastic products made with BioBlends® exhibit beneficial properties from each of the base resin feedstocks.
NuPlastiQ Family of BioBlends
Compounding NuPlastiQ BioPolymer with legacy plastics produces BioBlend XP, XD, and BC Resins. These will meet or exceed the performance of products made from traditional plastic.
High-Performance: BioBlend XP High-Performance Resins for packaging will maintain or even increase the overall strength of plastics such as polyethylene, polypropylene, or polystyrene. They can also reduce material use, energy consumption, fossil fuel-based plastics usage, and greenhouse gas (GHG) generation by up to 50%.
- The strength of XP can allow for downgauging.
- XP has an amorphous structure, which makes it easily blended with PE, PP, and PS.
- Using NuPlastiQ BioBlend XP helps reduce both fossil fuel-based plastic content and greenhouse gas generation - by up to 50%.
- A product or package made with XP is entitled to carry the USDA Certified Biobased Product label.
- Thin films made with BioBlend XP have a softer feel.
Durable: BioBlend XD High Durability Resins for durable goods and rigid containers provide improved sustainability metrics related to reduced fossil fuel-based plastics usage and lower greenhouse gas generation while maintaining durability and other strength characteristics.
- Maintains the physical properties, durability, and strength of the resins with which it is dry-blended.
- Enables fossil-based material & energy reductions via efficient renewable content addition.
- Accelerates biodegradation based on internal testing.
- Is better than carbon neutral as it reduces greenhouse gas generation by up to 50%.
Compostable and Biodegradable: BioBlend BC Biodegradable and Compostable Resins for packaging and films are produced by mixing our NuPlastiQ CG (Certified Grade) resin with similar plastics such as PBAT, PLA, and PHA. BioBlends are designed to retain or enhance compostability in industrial facilities and to do so price competitively. BioBlend BC enables:
- Fossil-based material & energy reductions.
- Efficient renewable content addition.
- Reduction of greenhouse gas generation.
- Compostability and Biodegradability.
Summary of BioBlend Product Line
Download our Fact Sheet here.
NuPlastiQ adds strength and allows for down gauging
Using NuPlastiQ instead of starch powder to make BioBlends® makes it possible for any plastics product manufacturer to make high-quality sustainable plastic products that have not been possible using starch in the past. Companies that tried to use starch or TPS in the past and were not successful can now easily use BioLogiQ’s NuPlastiQ BioBlend® resins on their existing equipment to make high-quality and high-performance products.
Using BioLogiQ’s process on standard compounding machines, BioBlends® can be made for your application without the need for special equipment such as side feeding ports for starch powder injection.
BioBlends® have been successfully made and are in use with many traditional fossil-fuel resins such as LDPE, LLDPE, HDPE, PS, PP, and PBAT, as well as with bio-based resins such as PHA, PLA, and PBS, etc. BioLogiQ continues to develop blends with various grades of the many plastic resins available in the marketplace.